Thursday, August 9, 2012

A significant moment of insignificance.


Diary entry: From 8th August 2012

Tonight I witnessed a motorbike accident in which I saw a young man smeared across a road and killed instantly.

My driver and I had to sit right beside this carnage for five minutes on the back of our moto before the understandable traffic jam started to move. A gushing feeling of emptiness came over me as I watched the aftermath process in a state of shock.

The more I watched, the more I noticed that the people were all too used to this sight – which really got to me. People were standing, looking, smoking, chatting, as if there were critiques at some sort of theatrical spectacle. In the meantime policemen were pushing everyone in sight, and frantically collecting pieces of the victim and soaking up the blood that had escaped onto the road.

I thought about the victim’s family, and the hard times to come for them. I thought about where he was heading to on his moto…and inevitably I thought about if it had have been me. Would I have had such an audience watching me, dead, in the middle of the road while they puffed on their cigg’s and tried to catch the best possible glimpse of me? Would I have been that insignificant too? Would my death just have been another number on the road, something that happens everyday in this city?

As we unsteadily sieved our way through the traffic jam and away from scene of the accident on our moto, I patted my driver on the back to try and evoke some sense of compassion between us for what we had just witnessed.  When finally we began to drive again, I knew that, in whichever language we spoke or religion we followed, we were both thinking the same thing…”That could have been me…Thank God it wasn’t.”

........

Scenes like this are all too common in Cambodia.
  • The number of registered vehicles in Cambodia now (as of 2009) exceeds 1,000,000, with motorcycles making up 79% of the motor vehicle population.
  • Over the past five years, the number of fatalities caused by crashes has almost doubled.
  • With 15.1 deaths per 10,000 vehicles, Cambodia has one of the highest fatality rates among the ASEAN countries.
  • RCVIS (Road Crash Victim Information System) reports 77% of road traffic casualties in Cambodia are motorcycle riders and 44% suffer traumatic head injuries





No comments:

Post a Comment