Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cambodia update - Tuk-tuk's, blessings and Ladyboys


So, I have been in Cambodia for about two and a half weeks now. It’s been pretty eventful.

To be honest, I found it hard settling in to my new sleeping habits, that is, sharing a room with six others, and a bed with another person. Also eating rice three times a day was a bit of a shock to the old taste buds..OHH, and showering with a tap and pan. Although, now it’s fine. Still not used to the heat and mosquitoes at night though – sneaky little buggers they are!


Actually, I think the thing now that is most difficult is not having time alone or being able to be in silence. This is because there is always someone wanting to talk to you and practise their English, never an empty space to do what you want and always someone, in awe, looking over your shoulder while you are on your laptop, which is happening right now ;) However, I am sure I will get used to that too.

I didn’t leave the vicinity of the charity (NGO) I am working for until last week. This is because I spent a lot of time getting to know the students and teachers and so fourth. That did kill me a bit inside though - not leaving to explore the city upon arrival. I did manage to get in a few times to Phnom Penh during the week. It’s only a 25 minute drive by motorbike which costs me $3 (it costs locals 2$), which is always an argument with the scamming driver at the end of the journey – but I always win ;) I visited the Russian Market and met up with the guy who is going to help me make a short video for the charity.

The first time I went to Phnom Penh we had an accident on the way back on a crossroad. Another motorbike came flying into the side of ours (my drivers fault...I think), while about 10 cars swerved out of the way. This is all without a helmet too, of course - third world style. Sure enough, for the luck of my driver, the police happened to be across the other side of the crossroad and saw this happening. They pulled him over to fine him and a couple of dollars bribery later, there was a smug policeman with a few extra notes in his back pocket and we were on our way. Corruption. I was later told that police here are many, and they earn a very low salary, something in the range of $50 (£35) a month. I have never seen traffic like it is here in my life. It is so dangerous. You literally do put your life at risk everytime you go out, hence why life insurance is pretty much non-existent here.
 
Another interesting journey home was by tuk-tuk (see photo) – at night. We were happily driving along the national motorway when the motorbikes light went out, so we spent the rest of the journey shitting ourselves that a lorry was going to come up behind us and not be able to see us. Not fun. Make it back safe and sound though, and the driver tried to charge me $5 extra because of what happened, obviously he wasn’t successful.

We had a couple of visitors from Laos last week at the centre. I spent sometime with them and ended up one morning at a Buddhist temple being blessed (see photo below) Cultural experience, indeed.

On Saturday last week (the 14th) I went to stay overnight in the capital. Had a crazy night. It is a really happening city with lots to do and see. Unbelievably I bumped into someone I knew from England in a little bar where  we saw some Ladyboys performing (you seriously wouldn't know any different haha). I mean, I’m in Phnom Penh…not Costa del Sol, so it was quite a coincidence to see them there.

Today I started teaching English. It’s a lot harder teaching it to people here as their language is completely different and they don’t have anything in common. Plus, I don’t speak their language (Khmer). In Spain, if I couldn’t explain something in English then I could do so in Spanish, but here it’s much more of a challenge.

The people are so friendly and hardworking though. They appreciate education and know that if they learn English they will have a lot of future possibilities.

So, half of the day I teach and the rest of the time I am emailing companies, support groups and charities to help with funding.  Also I am trying to organise ways to promote the organisation and let people know about us as what we are doing is on a wide scale, but because of lack of PR they are very unknown. Science of Life 24/7 is the name of the organisation, by the way.

I will update more about some of the things I have seen and done in later blogs – this is just a short up-date.

Hope you’re all well and happy.

Besos,

Stevieg

No comments:

Post a Comment